After being able to eat normally, the first review I went for was at Sheraton Imperial KL, where you can find pretty awesome deals and quality food. Starting from 1 August 2014 up to 30 September 2014, you can enjoy a special Oriental Steamboat promotion, that features 5 unique broths specially prepared by Chef Vincent Loo at the Celestial Court, Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel.
When it comes to steamboat, the most important factor is the broth. The 5 broths available at Sheraton Celestial Court during this promotion are ‘Lui Yee Hung‘ Chinese Wine with Cordyceps Herbal Soup, Jade Porridge, Hot Slipper Lobster Soup, Thai Tom Yam Soup and Chicken Ginseng Soup. We were offered to try all the variants except the Thai Tom Yam Soup, since that is probably the most common type compared to the rest.
Here’s a rundown on what exactly each broth is like:
- ‘Lui Yee Hung‘ Chinese Wine with Cordyceps Herbal Soup: The wine is made from glutinous rice and wheat, however the soup does not have a strong wine smell or taste, but instead a very distinct taste of Cordyceps. One of my favourite broths served for the steamboat.
- Jade Porridge: Andrew enjoyed this most, this porridge-based vegetarian broth with a blend of spinach. It isn’t very thick as one might think of porridge-like soups, but instead goes pretty well as a steamboat base. Apparently, it is believed that this broth strengthens the bones, nourishes the eyes and contains anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- Hot Slipper Lobster Soup: Another one of our favourites. Both Andrew and I agree that this was one of the most appetising amongst all four of the broths. How does it taste? Kind of like the soup from your Penang Prawn Mee, a little sweeter and spicier.
- Chicken Ginseng Soup: For something familiar and subtle, this soup has a typical traditional herbal soup taste.
Set menus are available for a minimum of two persons, with a choice of vegetarian Mushroom Set (RM49.90++ per person), Poultry Set (RM55.50++ per person) or Seafood Set (RM68.80++ per person).
- Mushroom Set includes: Chinese mushroom, shiitake mushroom, maitake mushroom, enoki mushroom, shimeji mushroom, fresh button mushroom, chicken leg mushroom, abalone mushroom, assorted vegetables, ee fu noodles, chicken farm eggs.
- Poultry Set includes: Chicken slice, duck slice, smoked duck breast, smoked turkey slice, Jalapeno sausages, black pepper chicken sausages, cheese chicken sausages, spring chicken, assorted vegetables, chicken farm egg, glass noodles.
- Seafood Set includes: Sea abalone slices, white prawn, flower crab, mussels, fish slices, jelly fish, fresh oysters, scallops, assorted vegetables, chicken farm egg, rice vermicelli.
If you feel that the set is not enough and would like to order additional ala carte, feel free to choose from a wide range of fresh foods, especially from the seafood and meat menu.
Should you prefer something a little more luxurious, then try the King Crab (RM30++ per 100g) or the Tasmanian Ocean Petuna Fish (RM25++ per 100g) specialities.
Here’s some of the food I managed to take a photo of before the rest on my table gobbled it all up in a flash. (^_^”)
Don’t forget to also check out the really yummilicious desserts served at Celestial Court should you be dining there!
Oriental Steamboat Promotion at Sheraton Imperial
Very unique broth/soup. Ingredients fresh and crisp.
Can be a little pricey if you are a big eater, or used to eating at steamboat buffets.
Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur
RESERVATIONS: +603-2717-9900, email@example.com
AVAILABLE FOR DINNER: 6:30pm – 10:30pm