I was thinking maybe it is time to start a subcategory for the recipes I’ve successfully completed. Many of the recipes are from the Internet that have been tried and tested, and maybe modified a little to Malaysian market since not every ingredient is easily obtainable here in Malaysia. Sometimes, certain ingredients are also too expensive, so I have tried to use brands and ingredients that are not crazily priced, though I have to admit I avoid cheap ingredients. Good ingredients make better tasting food too!
Anyway, long story short, I’ve just made for my family some good ol’ mac & cheese, but I baked it instead of just cooking it over the stove. That way, it is more cheesy and looks nicer when served on the dining table, especially when you have guests. (Yes, I am a sucker for pretty looking food although plating is still a challenge for me).
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: Approx 25-30 minutes
- 400g elbow macaroni
- Olive oil
- 200g smoked bacon chips (Bacon chips are cheaper than streaky bacon, and tastes just as good)
- 500ml whipping/cooking cream (I use Emborg since it’s cheap and good)
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated (I use Coon’s usually)
monterey jack cheeseemmental cheese, grated (Original recipe uses gyuvere, but gyuvere in Malaysia is quite expensive) (p/s: I’ve discovered that emmental cheese tastes better in this recipe than monterey jack.)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsps Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 80g breadcrumbs
- 100g parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt and grounded black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to approximately 180-200 deg Celcius.
- Bring water to boil in a pot. Sprinkle with some salt and add the macaroni in. Boil until al dente (or as soft as you like depending on individual preference). Drain using a colander and put in cold water to stop it from cooking any further. Drain again and set aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add bacon, cook till golden. Don’t put too much oil as the bacon itself will release its own oils. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Add the cream into the same pan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off the heat and add the cheeses into the heated cream in batches until melted.
- Combine the garlic, paprika and Dijon mustard into a paste and stir in the cheese and cream mix.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in macaroni and bacon to the mix and stir well to ensure the macaroni is coated.
- Place macaroni into a casserole dish or any oven safe dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan over the macaroni, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place in preheated oven and bake till golden brown.
Serves between 6-8 persons, depending on appetite. (^_^)